(This post contains affiliate links. Learn more.)
What are soap nuts? They are berries that contain natural saponins and are popular today as a natural soap replacement. You can read more about them here.
You can throw whole soap nuts into your laundry or dishwasher, but sometimes it can be easier to use soap nut liquid. Soap nut liquid is also used as a base for many different things that can be used around the house.
You can use the liquid as is or add it to other recipes. Soap nut liquid can be used in:
- Natural Laundry Detergent
- Natural Dishwasher Detergent
- All-purpose Cleaners
- Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
- Homemade Shampoo
- Homemade Pet Cleansing Products
- and more!
It is really easy to make soap nut liquid!
How to make soap nut liquid
What you’ll need:
- 8-10 whole soap nuts
- 8 cups of water
- 1 cup of Vinegar (optional)
- 10-15 drops of Tea Tree Oil (optional)
- Large pot
- Add 8 cups of water to a large pot
- Add 8-10 soap nuts to the water. You can directly add them to the water or put them in a muslin bag.
- Boil the water and soap nuts for about 30 minutes
- Let water cool
- Remove soap nuts from the water. You can filter/strain the liquid but this is optional.
- Add one cup of vinegar (optional)
- Add 10-15 drops of Tea Tree oil (optional) *Do not add essential oils if you plan to use this on/around cats or ferrets*
- Transfer it to another container. Store in refrigerator to extend shelf life.
Simple and cheap to make! How do you like to use soap nuts?